Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Interview with God

I dreamed I had an interview with God.
“So you would like to interview me?” God asked
“If you have the time” I said.
God smiled. “My time is eternity”
“What questions do you have in mind for me?”
“What surprises you most about humankind?...”
God answered...
“That they get bored with childhood.
They rush to grow up and then
long to be children again.”
“That they lose their health to make money
and then lose their money to restore their health.”
“That by thinking anxiously about the future,
they forget the present,
such that they live in neither
the present nor the future.”
That they live as if they will never die,
and die as if they had never lived.”
God’s hand took mine
and we were silent for a while
And then I asked...
“As a parent, what are some of life’s lessons
you want your children to learn?”
God replied with a smile
“To learn they cannot make anyone love them.
What they can do is let themselves be loved.”
“To learn that it is not good
to compare themselves to others.”
“To learn that a rich person is not one who has the most,
but is one who needs the least.”
“To learn that it only takes a few seconds
to open profound wounds in persons we love,
and it takes many years to heal them.”
“To learn to forgive by
practicing forgiveness.”
“To learn that there are persons who love them dearly,
but simply do not know how to express or show
their feelings.”
“To learn that two people
can look at the same thing
and see it differently.”
“To learn that it is not always enough that they
be forgiven by others. But that they must forgive themselves.”
“And to learn that I am here always.”
-Reata Strickland-

The above poem was taken from the website by Goh, who also hosted the language tutorial listed on my linkies. Reading it gave me the same vibes I got when I read Fruits Basket; a sense of self-reflecting, a bit of guilt, and realization, that God had never abandoned us human. It was us who turned the other way.

Many times I have encountered people who complained, "If God exists, why didn't He do anything about the sufferings in this world?". I have no answer to that, since I never had the chance to interview God, nor would I have the privilege to do so (for I am a sinner). But I do believe that God wants us to live a life worth living. And to do so, we have to create that life with our own effort. It's not so much of what God has to give, but what we have to offer to the world. Instead of doing something in hope of gaining blessings, why not do it so that God will still bless the world. There is no use of you alone being blessed, while the whole world suffers.

I think it's a good thing that God keep a loose control over what's happening at the moment. If we study the religious texts, many of the previous races and civilizations were destroyed for their religious and nature transgressions. Compared to what are happening today, their acts pale in comparison to ours. If God were to intervene, that would be the end of us all, I think. Because He is benevolent in His blessings, and terrible in His punishment. All shall be blessed, or all shall be punished. Maybe that's why He mentioned in the Muslim Holy Book, Al-Quran, that He "will not help a race unless the race helps itself". If no effort of improvement is being made, there is no way an intervention is going to happen.

Let us learn from this piece of poem, and start making the improvements we need to do. All the best.

No comments: