Sunday, July 15, 2007

Desperate Attempt to Con A Crooked Man

Recently my email has become a haven for financial scams. Lotteries, "business" proposals, "unclaimed funds", etc. How the heck did they get my e-mail? Beats me. But this one caught my attention. Because whoever sent this claimed to be a lawyer, practicing in Malaysia. He even puts his office address, but minus the office contact number. Why, I wonder. Here's the e-mail:

Contact:
Barrister Ahmad Salim
Senior Advocate.
Office:
Law House
2ND Foor Wisma Yakin
Jalan Masjid 1
50450 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia .


My name is Ahmad Salim,an attorney at law.

I saw your contact and profile and decided that you could cooperate with me in this proposition.

I have a client who was deceased in 11th November, 2004. His heart condition was due to the death of all the members of his family in the Gulf Air Flight Crashes in Persian Gulf Near Bahrain Aired August 23, 2000 - 2:50 p.m. ET as reported on : http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0008/23/bn.08.html

I am contacting you because you have the same surname as my deceased client and i felt that you could help me in the distribution of funding that were left in my deceased client's bank account. This funding is closed to be declared un-serviceable by the bank as there were no indicated next of kin or next of beneficiary of the funding in the bank account.

The total amount of cash in the bank account of my deceased client is US$ 5.2 Million ( Say, Five Million, two Hundred Thousand United States dollars Only ), The bank had issued to me a notification to contact the next of kin of my deceased client for either to re-activate the bank account or to make claim of beneficiary, of the funding in the bank account, with a month surcharge of 6% to be deducted as an Escrow safe keeping fee of the bank account,so as to avoid the indefinite closure of the bank account.

My proposition to you is to seek your consent, and to present your kind self as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my deceased client,since you have the same last name with him.

This means that the proceeds of his bank account would be paid to you as his next of kin or the legitimate beneficiary. When the proceeds in his bank account are paid to you, we would share the proceeds on a mutually agreed-upon percentage of 60% to me and 40% to your kind self.

All the legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next-of-kin would be provided by me. The most important thing I would need is your honest cooperation in this proposition.This would be done under a legitimate arrangement that would protect you from any breach of the law.

Sorry and over look this business proposition if it offends your moral and ethic values but please, contact me at once if you're interested by replying the mail.

Yours Sincerely,
Barr. Ahmad Salim
[ Principal Attorney].



There you have it. Of all the person who used "Ismat" as his/her last name (FYI, Muhammad Nor Ismat is my name. I didn't include my father's name for various personal reasons), I was chosen to be the heir of someone I never knew existed. Sounds like a story straight from a manga/anime. What I would like you, my friends, to do, is to help me verify this possible conman. I want to know if the office exists, and if it does, is there anyone by the name Ahmad Salim working there. If not, a police report is in order.

Come to think of it, why don't he contact Amir Hafizi instead? He plainly claimed that he wanted to become a millionaire ASAP, for goodness sake!! Amir, why don't you take my place?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the same offer.The bastard is still in contact with me.
It really seems, he is located in Malaysia, because he gave me a phonenumber from Malaysia:
0060-173761964.

Send me an E-Mail if you need further information:
LuisIver@web.de

Anonymous said...

hi,
got the same today. my name is krzyzanowska... laugh out loudly. :)