Friday, July 13, 2007

To Ban or Not To Ban, It's Already Banned...

Thanks, guys, for the concern over my mum's condition. Rest assure, it's getting worse. But that's not a bad sign. Based on my knowledge of healing cycle, it is normal for ailments to be at it's peak before the healing process kicks in. She's taking the antibiotics, but she's still worried about her current condition. I wonder if I should call Aunty Nasriah and have her do the check up on my mum instead. I have to convince my mum to come to KL, though, and I doubt that she's willing.

Now, to the article today. Here it is:

Watch movie first before calling for ban, says Rais

PETALING JAYA: Any party calling for a ban on a movie on religious grounds should first view it and state what aspects of it are against the teachings of the religion, said Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.

Once they have seen the movie and outlined what aspects of the film were against the tenets of the religion, they could forward their views to the Film Censorship Board.

“If you haven’t seen the movie, I don’t think you should create tension,” he said when asked to comment on a call by the Muslim Consumers Association of Malaysia to ban the comedy Evan Almighty, which is scheduled for general screening in cinemas nationwide from Aug 23.

According to Bernama, association secretary-general Datuk Dr Maamor Osman labelled Evan Almighty an insult to Islam because it “poked fun at God and the Prophet Noah”.

The trailer of the US$175mil (RM600mil) movie, featuring Morgan Freeman as God, asking Evan Baxter (Steve Carell) to build an ark to prevent the big flood that was to hit New York, has been shown in cinemas here.

Evan Almighty is the sequel to Bruce Almighty, which was initially caught up in a controversy four years ago when former Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Zainal Abidin called for the film to be banned because it was against Islamic beliefs as the main character had assumed the power of God.

However, the Government allowed the screening of the movie after it was viewed and assessed by various government officials including those from the Islamic Development Department and Film Censorship Board.

Dr Rais said he would leave the current matter to the censorship board.

“Upon deliberation, the board has disallowed or allowed many stories,” he said.


Well, Dato', how do you supposed we watch the movies first? by downloading it before it even reach our shores? I don't mind. I do that a lot with Japanese animation and movies. But for a minister to actually imply that, you have my respect.

I do agree that we need to actually read/watch/listen to the media before giving the verdict whether the media should be banned or censored or left alone. I 100% support the motion. Make that 199.99999%. However, as far as I'm concerned, all types of media have to go through the Government agency before being released officially. Which means you can't even take a sneak peek legally (and a sneak peek is not enough to warrant a verdict). Which means you guys (ministers, Parliament members, Father, Son, and the Holy SIL) get to watch it first. Heck, before we know it, the media are already banned/censored/burned to smithereens. Unless we illegally acquire the media, that is. Illegally from your point of view, that is.

3 comments:

Mohammad Ihab Ismail said...

LOL!! U had me laugh really hard when u start ya "Well, Dato'.. etc etc" part... Cam syial LAZER BEAM of a million walts ko haha...

Hey.. I wish ya mum bi-kulli 3afiah was-salamah ensyallah Allah yashfi-ha.. Mampos ko la paham tak paham.. Amin kan je.. Doa baik LOL..

Back to the article.. I donno if you have ever watched the trailer of this Evan Al-pukey movie.. But from what I've seen on the cinema adverts here in the UK, it is indeed a lot more provoking compared to Bruce Almighty..

They really tried to visualize what happened during the days of Noah a.s. .. With the arc & flood & the two-by-two animals of each kind.. & even dressed Evan Baxter like he's Noah himself.. For that matter, regardless of how morally educating the story line is.. The provocations should certainly be condemned thence the NEED TO BAN the film from being aired in local cinemas..

It's not just the 'Akidah' issue that I am concerned about.. If ever the film is allowed to be aired in local cinemas.. I fear we are telling the world that we support such mockery over the immensity and greatness of God and His prophets.. And if we do so, who are we to say that we are a leading Muslim country let alone claiming our respects upon the blessed prophet & our GOD ALMIGHTY..

The one thing we never want is for God to curse our nation.. Na3uzubillah min zalik..

Unknown said...

Oh, thanks a lot for your compliment ^_^. I'm a critic in training, you see :p.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I'm not supporting the movie or the book or whatever that directly insults a religion (any part of it, and any religion at all). What I meant was to let the public decide first whether that media should be banned or not, with solid reasoning as to why it should or shouldn't. The last thing I want is to have people who think that they know everything calling the shots as to what I can read/watch/listen.

How many books that enjoin good, truth and harmony were banned without any chance for the public to peruse their contents? Take Karen Armstrong, for instance. She wrote a number of books on religion, particularly Islam and Christianity, yet the books were banned in Malaysia, and only a minority of our citizen have the access to her books. Of course, it would be justified if her books contains insults, but strong advices can be mistaken as insults as well by stubborn people who doesn't wish to look around, listen, and think the way our Holy Quran enjoins us.

What I wish to suggest is to let the media be available for a short time, and in case it is as insulting as people claimed it to be, stop all distribution, airings and what-not.

By the way, though I've never watched the movie or the preview before (I will try and illegally obtain a copy to see it with my own eyes, though), I doubt that I will feel insulted with how they try to present it. Because try as hard as they can, that is not Noah, nor can they replicate the event. And since I'm not the one insulted, I will only give my 2 cents, and leave it to the one the insult is being subjected. Let Him do the judging, as He is the Ultimate Judge of all judges. As for us human, no matter how advance our Law Degree maybe, Syariah or Civil, we are but a drop of water compared to a sea.

Mohammad Ihab Ismail said...

LOL.. I understand ya point mate.. My previous comment was merely typed to express my thoughts and support that the film should be banned.. There are loads of other non-provoking good films out there.. Banning this one wouldnt cause us any harm.. I might actually do good! :D

You wanna watch the film?? Actually u can since u've already got the BroadBand at home LOL.. Try www.alluc.org.. Then type Evan Almighty.. There will be links for you to click on.. It's basically YouTubes video links which have been put together for movie fans etc etc.. So that's it.. You are indeed able to watch the movie on ya comp!! Just a click away LOL..

For me.. I am totally against such movies.. Although they use the name Evan Baxter.. It was clearly meant to show how things were like back in Noah's days.. Difference is just that it is implicated on a guy named Evan Baxter.. The ones who wouldnt notice are only the illeterates..

Because it is so blatant, i would have to go against the movie and support the PPI (Persatuan Pengguna Islam kan yg mintak ban etc ni??) in their move to try and urge the ministry to ban the film.. Coz i dont want a day to come when somebody mock our beloved prophet Mohammad, only to implicate some John or Mike name and we would say 'Yea ok go on go on.. we wont ban your film.. it's not about our prophet..'

For me.. I dont want Malaysians to be like the Westerns who dont respect their God Jesus, making fun of Him in cartoon illustrations etc etc.. They all started with 'light' provocations.. And now, even the most provoking cartoon about Jesus wouldnt be banned from the newspaper etc.. Secularism, they say..

We dont want this to happen in our country.. So, yea, come on.. Support the BANNING move!! :D